Tuesday 8 March 2011

Angling the camera and breaking the rules - tips for good Photography

Beauty and interest are in the eye of the beholder and there are no strict rules to what composition works for a particular subject. Sometimes deliberately angling the camera can add energy to a picture. Look at these examples and see what you think.

The first picture has a subtle tilt which emphasises the low angle and the landscape format. This young lady by the way would like to be a racing driver and a model.


This second picture is of Bath and a backstreet coffee house which, for me, recalls the atmosphere of the city without focusing on the landmarks. The angle adds something which I believe lifts it as an image.


This last picture is slightly more disturbing because I wanted it to be, trying to gain an effect. These are the stepping stones at Whitewell in the Forest of Bowland. We want the stones to be perfectly level because that is how we want to remember walking across them. By tilting them it might also remind me of that apprehensive feeling I get whenever jumping from one stepping stone to the next, besides, there are many pictures of these stones taken the 'normal' way, I was looking for something different.


Feel free to break the rules, not that you need permission, and tell me how you get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment