Monday 2 May 2011

Buildings! - tips for good Photography

 Buildings and other constructions make for great graphically interesting pictures. This black and white of the Radisson hotel in Liverpool is one of my most popular pictures on Flickr. Making it black and white simplified the lines and removed distracting colours form the lights. Turning the camera added energy to the picture. Funny thing was I had been going in and out of this hotel helping my wife set up for weddings, she is a brilliant harpist, without ever looking up! When I did I knew it would make a great picture.


This next picture is of the Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh. Again tilting the camera adds to the dynamics and the odd shape of the windows. I thought it quite ugly, my tastes in architecture are, I think, rather conservative. I also cannot see this building standing any test of time, which when the cost is considered, is a serious concern with many modern buildings.


This final picture was of course taking inside a church. The pipe organs took on this golden glow from the flood lighting and the texture of the silver metal added to the variety within the image. Getting in close using the zoom that comes on many camera lenses helped to again eliminate distracting detail. By the way, always buy a camera with a good optical zoom because they are actually recording the image in true closer detail; a digital zoom is just filling in the detail by extrapolation so is not a true zoom. A digital zoom therefore is not really capturing any extra detail.


In England there has been some excellent bright daylight for taking images of buildings and these images do make good talking points.

No comments:

Post a Comment