Thursday 16 June 2011

What to look for in a professional photographer - tips for good Photography

Sometimes events come along which you want to record photographically and for one reason or another you want to ensure that images are captured to the very highest quality. Having a family member or friend photographing your wedding, christening or other very special event puts a lot of pressure on them. I know this because the first wedding I photographed, over twenty years ago, was my brother's. Back in those days it was all done on 35mm film and there was no way of knowing if you had got the exposure and focus right until the negatives came back - did I feel the pressure! Not only that, but guess who is missing from all his brother's wedding photographs, including the family group?


I often photograph weddings and alongside me will be standing some very talented amateurs who take a good photo and then get on with enjoying the wedding as guests. The pressure is on me to deliver the goods for the album or disc, a pressure I actually quite enjoy.


So, what should you look for when getting a professional for your wedding, christening or other big occasion?
  • A photographic style you like is obviously important, and in viewing examples of a photographer's work you should choose one with technical ability and an artistic flair you like.
  • Equally important is that the photographer has the people skills that mean you and everybody else will be able to relax and enjoy having their photo taken. This is vitally important if you want fresh and emotion filled pictures. The sure way to know you have the right person for your special occasion is to meet them and if they listen to what you want and try to meet your needs rather than tell you about how good their photos are, then they are more likely to be the photographer for you. Ask yourself the question, especially if it is your wedding: 'Will I be able to get on with this person all day long, and how will my family and friends react to this person trying to organize them?'

The best photographs, possibly intimate images, that show how people were feeling and thinking are only achieved when they and the photographer have a strong sense of trust. I have been fortunate to get to know  many of my clients well, and for me this has been a very rewarding part of my life as a professional photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment