Tuesday 21 February 2012

'It's the wrong settings Gromit!' - tips for great photography

Leaving your camera on automatic settings is a very safe way to make sure you get a picture but it will almost never get you the shot that 'pops' from the page or screen.


Automatic settings are great if it is the recording of events that is important above all else. If you want art you will have to move away from that setting and experiment more. However, you do need to occasional check that the setting you have changed are still the correct ones for the light and situation. You also need to check that they have not been accidentally altered by a knock or bump. Some settings on professional cameras can be locked into place, but not all.


Before each photographic shoot I have to be pretty meticulous that the settings are how I want them for this particular subject, situation and light and not just how they were the last time I used the camera. Simply being careful and professional. Some settings I hardly ever change - I always shoot in 'raw' and at the highest resolution possible. ISO I set as low as light will allow assuming I am looking to capture as much detail as I can and I'm not looking for 'atmospheric effects'.


Shutter speeds and aperture settings can be changed all the time and shooting in manual means I have to keep an eye on the light meter readings from the camera to avoid under and over exposure. I often want the largest aperture I can get to reduce the depth of field, blurring background and foreground for effect. This can mean pushing the shutter speed up outside and using fill in flash. Indoors we are relying on powerful flash guns that reach every corner of the room!

Modern cameras also have beautiful preview screens on the back and histograms which are even more useful. However, I try to avoid looking at every shot and try to trust I have set up the camera correctly.

So, always check your setting before shooting and then check them again occasionally especially if there is a change in the light or if they may have been knocked for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment