Wednesday 18 April 2012

New 24-70mm zoom lens arrived yesterday! - tips for great photography

The glass at the front of your camera is such an important part of taking a high quality picture. It is not of course as important as the lens in your own eye and your ability to 'see the picture' even before you raise the camera to capture the moment.


There are however reasons for all that heavy large glass in front of a professional photographers camera. First a big lens captures more light so is useful when there is not much light around and the need to turn on the flash is reduced. Secondly this lens allows me to have a big aperture, the transparent hole down the centre of the lens that actually lets the light in, which means I can control the depth of field, that part of the picture in sharp focus, useful if you want to isolate the subject from the background as you may do in portraits and wedding photography. This lens does this at wide focal lengths but also when I zoom in. Usually the diameter of the aperture increase and less light gets through so limiting your focus control.

This latest lens is also made to a very high specification including a fantastic build quality and weather proofing, I can now take pictures of weddings in the rain! The lens glass also have a number of special coatings to reduce flare, lines of bright circles created when light sources get into the composition.


Hopefully today I will get to play with this lens and then I can use it at a wedding I am photographing on Friday in Liverpool.

My camera is a DSLR so I can change lenses to meet whatever creative need I have for angle of view and depth of field. Point and shoot cameras usually have one fixed lens with sometimes, a limited amount of zoom.


If you can get a camera with interchangeable lenses I would advise it, but please remember the most important lens is the one in your eye and your creativity, a good photographer can get amazing pictures from even a pin-hole camera, and that has no lens!

No comments:

Post a Comment