Wednesday 7 March 2012

Prints look fantastic! - tips for great photography

Did a lot of printing recently, images do look so much better off the screen especially if printed large. I am about to invest in an A3+ printer so that I can print more on demand. I will still use the lab for large orders and wedding album pictures to make the most of economies of scale.




When buying a printer always go for multiple inks as they will give your a greater range of colours. If you are serious about getting the colours 'right' then you need to calibrate your screen to the printer. Computer screens, depending on how they are set up, can generate many more colours than a printer so it is important to match the screen to the printer to avoid disappointment. I have a special device called a 'spyder' which sits over my monitor to help assess accurately the colours. This is important because as a wedding and portrait photographer I need to ensure that clients get accurate prints of what they see on my screen. When I send prints to the lab I used a printer profile they have sent me so that I know colours and tones will come back true.


The spyder does the same job with tones. What I have noticed in the past is that blacks on screen sometimes come out a 'bit thin' so I tend to boost the bottom end of the output range of tones to redress the problem. Some programs allow you to increas the 'dark' in a picture which is the same thing. This must not be overdone though, as the picture might then appear under exposed.


All too technical?

Just enjoy printing some of your favourite pictures as large as you can afford and have wall space for!

1 comment:

  1. What printer are you going for Richard? I had an A3+ printer (Old Epson 1200 I think it was) but I got rid because I didn't use it enough and kept needing to get it serviced and put new inks in it when I wanted to use it which meant that it was uneconomical to own. In the end, I gave it away to anyone that would take it, as it was taking up a lot of space in the spare room!

    ReplyDelete